Monday, January 14, 2013

1,000 miles in

  Last Saturday was officially two months since starting our blog and announcing our desire to adopt from DR Congo.  The past two months have blown by and the adoption process has already become a regular part of our everyday life.   When we first decided to adopt, we had a sense of urgency.  Once your heart says yes to adoption, you feel the desire to go and get your child right then.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way and you quickly understand that your "regular" life has to go on.  I would be lying if I said I didn't still feel the urgency inside.  Jim and I recently watched an adoption video where the featured couple joked and said that she was the gas pedal and her husband was the brake.  That is very true of Jim and I, which is why I think we make a good team.   For example, this is the time of year we sit down and discuss our vacation schedules for work.  This year, we are planning vacation time to visit family and time to  travel to Jim's triathlon events, but all I can think about is using vacation time to go to Africa.  I'm scared to use   vacation time for anything else.  I want to use it all to go to Africa and pick up our child.  At the same time, I can't guarantee that we will be allowed to go to Africa this year...it might be 2014.  Jim helps me think things through. 

So many unknowns.  We are definitely experiencing the need for patience. Today I looked up the definition of patience and found this:

1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay.
3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence.

Hmm...so far, Jim is doing much better in this area.  I'm a work in progress.

  Good news this weekend.  We received notification in the mail from our adoption agency that we have been approved to work with them.  While a very small step in a very big and tedious process, it's still exciting to see it in writing.  The Coughlins are approved! 

  The other exciting news of the weekend...drum roll please...Jim officially has ridden 1,000 miles in his 7.000 mile Ride/Run to the Congo challenge.   Even on days when his legs were tired and the thought of getting on his bike seemed less than thrilling, he has kept at it.  I am so proud of him. 

Thank you to everyone who has continued to show excitement and support for us on this journey.  We are so thankful for the kind words and prayers.  It's amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment